April 8, 2010
Consider conducting your full stakeholder interview phase before you hold your kickoff meeting.
This provides content for kickoff exercises and a framework for you to test the expectations of stakeholders against the larger organization.
Stakeholder Interview Techniques
These techniques will help you get useful information for your kickoff meeting.
- Find a personal connection to the subject early. Look for something in your background that is similar, such as a city you’ve lived in, a sports team you like, or the ages of your children.
- Gather specific expectations regarding features and functionality. Ask clear direct questions, such as “What will this website do?”
- Be sure to inquire what aspects of the organizational culture, internal processes, or organization members put the project at risk for failure.
- Maintain an “off-the-record” and friendly tone.
Sample Stakeholder Interview Script
- Tell me about your role at [organization name].
- Tell me about your vision for the work you do at [organization name].
- From your perspective, what are some of the critical audiences for [website url]?
- If you had to choose one, who would you say is the primary audience?
- What are the most important types of information on [website url]?
- What kind of information, features or functionality needs to be there that isn’t now?
- What are the most important things people can do, or actions they can take on [website url]?
- Given the priority audiences you identified, are there cycles of activity that could guide when certain information should be presented? If so, please describe those cycles. What kinds of information falls outside of those cycles?
- Do you envision ways that people will visit [website url] other than a traditional browser?
- What role does [website url] play in the [organization name]’s business strategy?
- What puts the redesign of [website url] at risk to fail? What is the one thing we must get right to make the project worth
- Assuming we mitigate that risk or issue, what would make [website url]’s redesign a wildly successful project?